Note: Performance exams are ONLY held in the spring session each year and the exams take place throughout Memorial Day weekend and days immediately preceding and following, if needed. Theory exams are held twice per year, once in December and once in May
Registration for the spring exams is typically available from mid-January to mid-February. The exact registration dates will be noted on our calendar when they become available. For Village Music School students, the teacher number needed to register is 610. Please consult with your instructor to confirm the correct level for which to register. Specific day and time for individual performance exams will be assigned upon registration.
Each level of the written exam (Theory) is assigned a specific day and time. The most commonly taken exams are held on a Saturday. The corresponding Performance Exam levels and Theory exam times are listed below:
- Preparatory Rudiments: 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Optional for performance level prep A through level 4
- Basic Rudiments: 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Required for performance level 5
- Intermediate Rudiments: 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. Required for performance level 6
- Advanced Rudiments: 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Required once for any performance level 7 through 10
PLEASE NOTE: Beginning in 2017, the Theory exams have been revised. The above exams are still being offered during this crossover period. The new exams are listed below:
- For Performance Levels Prep A through Level 4, there are no corresponding written theory exams.
- For Performance Levels 5 through 8, there are corresponding written theory exams Level 5 through 8.
- For Performance Level 9, the corresponding written theory exams are Level 8 Theory, Level 9 History and Level 9 Harmony
- For Performance Level 10, the corresponding written theory exams are Level 8 Theory, Level 9 & Level 10 History, Level 9 Harmony, and Level 10 Harmony & Counterpoint